The Learning Center Director
The Learning Center
A Different Path
Designed for students with average to above-average potential and language-based learning differences, often known as Dyslexia, Dysgraphia, and Dyscalculia. The Learning Center helps students in grades 2-8 harness their strengths while overcoming their challenges. Our students process information differently than what is expected in a conventional classroom. They need a different approach and we embrace that difference.
Unique, Individualized & Cognitive
A school-within-a-school model where skilled faculty meet students’ learning differences with the individualized instruction that leads to success. Students benefit from a low student-teacher ratio of 4:1 for the core academic subjects of reading, writing, spelling, math, and history. Leading with student strengths, our experienced teaching staff uses an evidence-based curriculum paired with instructional practices that are based on the latest neuroscience to deliver academics tailored to each student’s abilities.
We build literacy skills through the use of explicit, multi-sensory language instruction that stimulates and builds auditory, visual, and tactile/kinesthetic pathways to learning. Our teachers partner with our literacy specialists to teach skills in their smallest components, and through repetition, help students master each skill before progressing to a higher level. We teach these skills through The Wilson Reading program and LindaMood-Bell learning processes, as well as other researched-based methods.
Grow Student Talent
The Learning Center students are an integral part of the overall fabric of the greater McGillis School community. These students are integrated with their McGillis peers in the specialty classes of science, art, music, physical education, library, drama, and culture and ethics. Students also have the opportunity to engage in grade-level field trips, specialty programs, lunch, recess, and extra-curricular opportunities.
We partner with parents to support, educate, and help facilitate the growth of students both at home and in school. Together, we can change the course for your child's life.
The Means To a Beautiful Ending
By creating a learning environment that removes major obstacles to learning, The Learning Center's program helps close the gap between students' achievement and potential, enabling most students to transition into traditional programs after two to three years. The Learning Center empowers students in school and in life to be able to take flight and repair the world.
The Learning Center is truly a game changer for us! I wish every child with a learning difference, struggling through a 'one size fits all' school system, could have the opportunity to join TLC — to truly experience the joy and excitement that comes from learning when learning is structured around them and their unique needs."
Millie Dorsey, Parent
We strive to:
- close the gap between academic performance and student potential
- provide individualized, multisensory language instruction for developing new pathways for mastery of core academic content.
- promote student strengths and build talents through specialty programs.
- enable students to experience success and to accept and value themselves in a safe, nurturing and respectful learning environment.
- teach students the strategies to become independent, responsible learners.
- communicate frequently with and provide support and education to the families of our students.
- maintain a diagnostic/prescriptive approach in all of our instruction, tailoring our lessons to meet the needs of your child.
- provide students with skills, strategies, and independence to soar in future learning environments.