Our Roadmap for 2020/2021
Our Roadmap for Reopening is guided by the assumption that this health crisis will continue through the 2020/21 school year, which means McGillis needs to be able to respond quickly to circumstances in our own school community as well as conditions in our city and county. As we reopened our campus in August, we know we may need to close campus again with very little advance warning. This means McGillis must be prepared to move between different learning models designed to fit a variety of circumstances and drivers.
We're calling on our entire McGillis community to rise to the challenge of establishing a new normal this year through our willingness to change and adapt. COVID-19 has disrupted life and school as we knew it. To navigate this unprecedented public health challenge, mutual respect, trust, and a deep sense of our reciprocal obligations to one another will be essential. Our Community Commitment is a pledge to one another to do our part as individuals to consider what’s best for the collective whole.
In anticipation of the year ahead, McGillis has created three (3) teaching and learning models. The objectives of our academic program, regardless of the model, remain mission-oriented:
To educate children and instill in our students a love of learning and the abilities to think critically, live ethically, and appreciate the value of each individual.
We are designing our program around commitments to the health and safety of our community; to continuity of learning; and to the social and emotional well-being of our students. We recognize the need to ensure that both the academic and specialty components of our program will flourish in all models. We are prepared to implement a robust program for students in-person, as well as at home.
The McGillis School returned to school on August 25 in our Hybrid Teaching & Learning model.
The McGillis School is currently operating in our Hybrid Teaching & Learning model.
Our Guiding Principles
Our guiding principles in planning for each of the three (3) teaching and learning models include:
- Protecting the health and safety, including the physical health and the social-emotional well-being, of our kehilah is our top priority;
- Delivering our mission and values in a program that inspires and prepares our learners for a lifetime of creating a better world;
- Preparing and planning to pivot quickly between teaching and learning models as needed during the duration of COVID-19; and
- Knowing that reducing risk to zero is impossible, we will follow public health and safety guidelines, utilizing the Utah Department of Health and the CDC coronavirus guidelines as our main reference points for our ongoing assessment of risk.
Health & Safety
The School has taken the challenge of planning for the reopening of school and has considered what teaching and learning will be like in the year ahead for teachers and students living under a new set of health and safety protocols. We have imagined the scenes inside of classrooms, on the playgrounds, in the lunchroom, on athletic fields, at drop-off and pick-up, inside the Library, and much more. The daily schedules and routines have been reimagined with new policies and protocols to maintain as safe and healthy a school environment as possible.
In order to meet guidelines regarding health and safety protocols in an effort to mitigate risk for our students and employees, the School has made significant changes and investments to our classrooms and physical environments. Shared understandings rooted in the development of the School’s mitigation strategies include:
- Focus on the variables we can control;
- Use reliable, scientific sources to guide our understanding of the virus that causes COVID-19 and how to best effectively prevent our community’s exposure to it;
- Remain adaptable, knowing experts’ understanding of the virus will evolve;
- Seek ways to reduce risk of virus transmission, not eliminate it;
- Identify external and internal drivers that would lead us to modify our restrictions; and
- Ensure new policies are flexible and can be implemented and maintained.
Recent Head of School Updates:
Are you interested in learning more about our 2020/2021 Roadmap?
Call 801-583-0094 to set up your visit today!