Each teacher has office hours twice a week. Students may use office hours for assistance from teachers in a specific class. Office hours also provide a great opportunity for students to have a quiet place to work, similar to a study hall. Students may use office hours to complete homework, study for exams, or read. Work from any subject can be done during any teacher’s office hours. If your student would benefit from an opportunity for study hall before or after school, please have her/him take advantage of teacher office hours.
Click here for teacher's office hours/study hall times. (updated 2.7.13)
6th Grade students participate in FIRST Lego League (FLL). Click here to see a video describing the program.
High School Selection Information
Click here to view a Middle School, and beyond, math flow chart. This document is meant as a guide to illustrate the two math paths in Middle School and how these paths may feed into a high school program.
In late Fall, early Winter high schools from around the Salt Lake Valley visit McGIllis to provide Middle School students and parents with information regarding options for high school.
The High School Information night is scheduled for Thursday, October 18, 2012 at 7:00 PM in the Library. Matt, Melanie, and Jocelyn will present on high school experiences in independent schools, parochial schools, and IB (International Baccalaureate) programs, followed by a question and answer session. Parents are invited and encouraged to attend.
Through the months of October through January, high schools from around the valley will present their school's program to McGillis students during the school day. Parents are invited to attend these sessions. The following schools have been scheduled. This list will be updated as we add other schools.
- High School Information Night letter
- High School Contact Information and Important Admission Dates
- Information Letter from the Hillcrest High School IB program
- Highland High School IB Application Form
- Information Letter from City Academy
- City Academy Flyer
Schedule of High School visits for the 2012-2013 school year
- Wednesday, October 31 10:40-11:40 - West High School's IB Program - Shannon Wilson (click here for West's IB Application Form)
- Thursday, November 1 11:40-12:40 - Judge Memorial Catholic High School - Debbie Madoni
- Monday, November 5 12:35-12:50 (7th grade) & 12:50-1:35 (8th grade) - Phillips Exeter Academy in New Hampshire - Hal Lynch
- Tuesday, November 13 1:15-2:15 - Salt Lake School of Performing Arts (SLSPA) - Sheldon Worthington
- Tuesday, November 27 9:20-10:20 - AMES (Academy of Math, Engineering, and Science) - Brett Wilson
- Thursday, November 29 11:40-12:40 - Annie Wright School in Tacoma, WA - Susan Bauska
- Monday, December 3 12:35-1:35 - Verde Valley School in Sedona, AZ - Jenifer Gill
- Tuesday, December 11 9:20-10:20 - Salt Lake Center for Science Education (SLCSE) - Larry Madden
- Friday, December 14 9:20-10:20 - The Waterford School - Todd Winters (click here for Waterford Open House Flyer)
- Wednesday, December 19 10:40-11:40 - Rowland Hall - Kathy Gunderson
- Monday, January 14 10:40-11:40 (rescheduled) - Juan Diego Catholic High School - Kirsten Jansen (click here for Juan Diego Open House Info, Shadow Form, Placement Exam Flyer)
- Tuesday, January 15 1:15-2:15 - Wasatch Academy - Carol Reeve